This page is brought to you by Mangroves Unlimited Need a Mangrove ? Try Ours! 1-954-922-2066
"Mangrove Preservation Act"
Mangrove Action Project
Before trimming or altering a mangrove planting in any way, check with your local government agencies which regulate trees and wetlands.
(1) Sections 403.9321-403.9333 and any lawful regulations adopted by a local government that receives a delegation of the department's authority to administer and enforce the regulation of mangroves as provided by this section shall be the sole regulations in this state for the trimming and alteration of mangroves on privately or publicly owned lands. All other state and local regulation of mangrove is as provided in subsection (3).
(2) The department shall delegate its authority to regulate the trimming and alteration of mangroves to any local government that makes a written request for delegation, if the local government meets the requirements of this section. To receive delegation, a local government must demonstrate that it has sufficient resources and procedures for the adequate administration and enforcement of a delegated mangrove-regulatory program. When a county receives delegation from the department, it may, through interlocal agreement, further delegate the authority to administer and enforce regulation of mangrove trimming and alteration to municipalities that meet the requirements of this section. In no event shall more than one permit for the alteration or trimming of mangroves be required within the jurisdiction of any delegated local government.
(3) A local government that wants to establish a program for the regulation of mangroves may request delegation from the department at any time. However, all local government regulation of mangroves, except pursuant to a delegation as provided by this section, is abolished 180 days after this section takes effect.
(4) Within 45 days after receipt of a written request for delegation from a local government, the department shall grant or deny the request in writing. The request is deemed approved if the department fails to respond within the 45-day time period. In reviewing requests for delegation, the department shall limit its review to whether the request complies with the requirements of subsection (2). The department shall set forth in writing with specificity the reasons for denial of a request for delegation. The department's determination regarding delegation constitutes final agency action and is subject to review under chapter 120.
(5) The department may biannually review the performance of a delegated local program and, upon a determination by the department that the delegated program has failed to properly administer and enforce the program, may seek to revoke the authority under which the program was delegated. The department shall provide a delegated local government with written notice of its intent to revoke the authority to operate a delegated program. The department's revocation of the authority to operate a delegated program is subject to review under chapter 120.
(6) A local government that receives delegation of the department's authority to regulate mangroves shall issue all permits required by law and in lieu of any departmental permit provided for by ss. 403.9321-403.9333. The availability of the exemptions to trim mangroves in riparian mangrove fringe areas provided in s. 403.9326 may not be restricted or qualified in any way by any local government. This subsection does not preclude a delegated local government from imposing stricter substantive standards or more demanding procedural requirements for mangrove trimming or alteration outside of riparian mangrove fringe areas. History.--s. 4, ch. 95-299; s. 3, ch. 96-206. "